Getting a divorce is never an easy thing. The person that you once loved and cherished has now become a stranger and trying to divide your lives into two separate paths can be exhausting. They may try to fight you every step of the way as you work to untangle your finances, investments, real estate, and children.
Luckily, you don’t have to go through this alone. Clagett & Barnett Attorneys at Law is Elizabethtown’s premier law firm, and as your divorce attorney, we’ll do everything we can to make the process as smooth as possible.
What Are the Four Main Things to Worry About With Divorce?
Regardless of whether or not a divorce is uncontested or contested, there are four main issues that the couple will have to consider:
- Child custody: this will decide who gets custody of the children and whether the other parent will have visitation rights.
- Child support: this will decide the appropriate amount of financial support that each parent will be responsible for providing.
- Maintenance: this is a recurring fee to support the financial health of the other person.
- Equitable division of assets and liabilities:this will decide how the couple’s financial holdings and burdens will be divided, including money in savings accounts, investments, or credit card debt.
While the couple may have other personal interests at heart, these are the main things clients can get help with by seeking out an Elizabethtown divorce attorney.
How an Uncontested Divorce Works in Elizabethtown
Often times, both parties mutually agree to separate. In many cases, this can make the process much easier, as the couple will have agreed on how to distribute and handle the four main issues in their relationship. This means there won’t be any fighting in court or arguments on what will happen next.
Having the services of Clagett & Barnett as a divorce attorney in an uncontested divorce is essential. Just because the two parties in the divorce agree on what should be done, doesn’t mean these actions or divisions are equal or fair. Because Clagett & Barnett is a small boutique firm, they can thoroughly investigate and analyze the ins and outs of the situation to make sure their client and any children involved are being treated fairly.
Some of the benefits of uncontested divorce include:
- Lowered attorney fees, as the case will be both less involved and over much quicker than a contested divorce.
- More amicable separation, which could be more beneficial for involved children.
- Less information revealed to the public, as the client’s assets do not need to be filed in court.
- Navigation of any local court rules and legal requirements necessary to successfully obtain an uncontested divorce
How a Contested Divorce Works in Elizabethtown
Unfortunately, many Elizabethtown divorces are contested. This means that the two parties involved cannot agree on all four major issues as noted above. Without a complete agreement, the divorce will need to go to court so the case can be heard by a judge. Then, after each side presents their case, it will be up to the judge to decide how to split up the assets. This may result in an outcome that is unfavorable for the client.
Clagett & Barnett know that contested divorces can be a headache, so their goal is to try and avoid court at all costs. This may involve mediation sessions with the other party’s lawyer to try and settle out of court. With their excellent bargaining skills and compassion, they are often able to find a middle ground that works for everyone.
Some of the benefits of a contested divorce include:
- The ability to fight for property or assets that the client believes should go to them.
- The ability to fight for sole custody for children, especially if the other party is an unfit parent.
- The ability to reevaluate the situation, as contested divorces do take more time than uncontested divorces.
Make Your Divorce Easier With the Best Divorce Attorney in Elizabethtown
No one plans on getting divorced, but if it’s happening to you, we are here to help. Clagett & Barnett is a small boutique firm, meaning we are intimately familiar with every case we take on. Our goal is to provide you with the highest level of service and legal prowess possible. We’ll work with you to understand what is realistic for your situation as we reach for the results you want from your divorce.
Best of all, we offer a free consultation so you can talk more with us about your case. Contact our family law firm today by calling (270) 900-0533.